Fire badly damages Yellow Springs Indian restaurant | #ESC_LLC #Restaurant #Kitchen #Fire | Emergency crews responded to the restaurant, located at 101 S. Walnut St., around 7:30 p.m., according to Yellow Springs police dispatch.
The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.
To continue reading this news article, click here.
The Cause and Cure to Commercial Kitchen Fires: ESC
Most restaurant fires begin in the kitchen where there are gas-fired and electrically operated cooking appliances. As you can see below, a significant number of fires in commercial restaurants begin in the kitchen. Although this is part of a European study, it still holds true for US applications.
Approximately 40% of restaurant and hotel fires start in the kitchen and 19% starts at the stove. In addition to the risk of injury the cost of property and material damage is significant, often more than EUR 50 000 per restaurant. It also leads to further heavy costs due to loss of revenue while the restaurant is closed. The insurance may, or may not, cover this lost revenue.Source http://bit.ly/2RhUlc3
The first line of defense when it comes to a kitchen fire is that of a quality, well-installed Kitchen Fire Suppression System. Some fire protection companies will sell on price where Electronic Systems Consultants LLC (ESC) sells on quality and the task at hand. Frankly, there can be no shortcuts when it comes to fire protection.
“One of the things that some fire protection companies will do is omit the use of automatic shutoffs where it comes to gas-fed and electrical appliances,” says John Larkin, Senior Partner with ESC of Greater Ohio. “ESC will not shortchange a job because of price. We’d rather walk away from a job than to do it half right. You ‘must’ have a gas shutoff and an electrical contactor in order to put out the fire, along with the fire suppression apparatus that we install.”
Here’s a story on how to fight a kitchen fire in your home, in case you’re not a restaurant owner or manager:
How to Put Out a Grease Fire | Grease fires happen when collections of oil or grease on a stove, oven or fryer get hot enough to ignite. It’s easy to lose track of a pot of oil on the stove until it ignites. Different oils burn at different temperatures (called the flash point), but every oil you can buy at the grocery store is capable of catching on fire.
Grease fires are extremely dangerous because the fuel source (the grease) is a liquid, and easily splashed if you try to spray water on it. Grease fires burn very hot and can quickly spread to cabinets or other flammable areas of the kitchen.
Also, here’s a video on how to fight a live fire when you’re in a commercial kitchen. This is for restaurant owners, managers, and those who work in the kitchen:
If you have questions about restaurant fire suppression, contact Ivra Bassette, ESC’s Restaurant Expert. Call ESC at 614-754-1393 or email us at ESC@tpromo.com.