Knowing Fire Code is Essential to the Proper Installation and Maintenance of Fire #Extinguishers | #ESC_LLC #FireExtinguisher #FireCode #FireProtection | ESC of Greater Ohio works hard to get and keep your business. One of our big sellers is fire extinguishers and it’s certainly one area that you need to know about. If you have fire extinguishers in your business, you must follow fire code or risk the wrath of a local city or county fire inspector or a State of Ohio Fire Marshal.
From a service and maintenance standpoint, here’s the meat:
- NFPA 10, Section 4-3.1, requires that fire extinguishers be inspected when initially installed and thereafter at approximately 30-day intervals.
- Section 4-4.1 on maintenance says that fire extinguishers should be maintained at intervals of not more than 1 year, at the time of hydrostatic test, or when specifically indicated by an inspection.
- In addition, Section 4-4.3 requires that stored-pressure fire extinguishers that require a 12-year hydrostatic test shall be emptied and subjected to the applicable maintenance procedures every six years.
This is only part of the story you need to know about. Just as important is the type of fire extinguishers you buy and where you install them throughout your facility. Here’s a short list of all the major types of portable fire extinguishers and what they are designed to do, meaning the types of fires they are engineered to fight:
- Class A: Fires that involve wood, cloth, rubber, paper, and some types of plastics.
- Class B: Fires that involve gasoline, oil, paint, natural and propane gases, and flammable liquids, gases, and greases.
- Class C: Fires that involve all the materials found in Class A and B fires, but with the introduction of an electrical appliances, wiring, or other electrically energized objects in the vicinity of the fire.
- Class D: Fires that involve combustible metals, such as sodium, magnesium, and potassium.
For additional information on fire extinguishers and the fire code that regulates their installation and on-going service, click here, or call 614-754-1393, or send an email to email@example.com. We’re ESC, we have your back!